There are people in this world, going about their daily routine, being affected by hypertension and they don’t even know. How is this possible? Its simple, they have never gotten a check up, never been to a doctor or even a hospital. Why you may ask? For some it is the fear of the unknown, for others, it is the lack of faith is the health care system, some don’t have a reason at all, but in the end, when they do end up in the hospital, for some it may be too late, or others, it just in the nick of time. This is why you need to know how to get your blood pressure measure, as knowing is the key to survival.
Getting your Blood Pressure Measurement
We all have a responsibility to take our health care serious. Knowing your blood pressure measurement and how to get your blood pressure measured is very important. It is the first step controlling your blood pressure. There are a number of ways to get your blood pressure measurement. The best way of getting your blood pressure measurement is by visiting a doctor or, in some cases, a pharmacist and have them check it for you. Another way of getting your blood pressure measurement is by purchasing a blood pressure monitor and measuring your blood pressure yourself from the comforts of your home.
Although getting your blood pressure checked by a doctor is considered to be the ideal thing to do, in more recent times, checking your blood pressure at home has proven to be just as effective and more cost effective as you can check you pressure in the comfort of your home or even on the go, as many times as you like, hassle free. Blood pressure measurement is checked using what is called a “Sphygmomanometers.”
What is a Sphygmomanometer?
A Sphygmomanometer is an instrument this is used to measure the blood pressure of a person. This instrument also goes by the name blood pressure meter, blood pressure monitor or blood pressure gauge. This instrument consists of three main parts. These parts are:
- Inflatable Cuff: This part is usually strapped to the arm and pumped up with air by the second component on this list. Once the cuff is pumped until it gets tight on the arm, the air is slowly released to allow for the reading of the blood pressure by the third component.
- Inflation mechanism: This is the second component and varies depending on the type of Sphygmomanometers as some inflate the cuff and release the air from the cuff by electrical means, why others utilize a bulb to pump air into the cuff and a release valve to slowly let out the air from the cuff.
- Measuring Unit: This is the third component and is used to measure the blood pressure and give a blood pressure reading.
There are instances where a fourth component, a Stethoscope, is utilized in conjunction with the Sphygmomanometer but it mostly depends on the type of Sphygmomanometer.
Types of Sphygmomanometers
There are two types of Sphygmomanometer this have been used in the measuring of blood pressure. The are:
Manual Sphygmomanometers: These are used by persons who have to be trained in the operation of such a device. The reason for this is this the manual Sphygmomanometer is considered to be the most accurate and it is operation may prove to be a bit technical. It must first be noted this there are two types of manual Sphygmomanometer. They are:
- Mercury Sphygmomanometers, which are considered to be the most accurate of all the types of Sphygmomanometers, as it does not need to be calibrated. There readings are shown in columns of mercury and because of there accuracy, they are mainly used in clinical trials or with high risk patients such as pregnant women. The wall mounted version of this device is called a Baumanometer. I must me noted this the use of this device comes with some danger as a result of the mercury.
- Aneriod Sphygmomanometers is considered to be safer this the mercury Sphygmomanometer and is cheaper, however it requires calibration from time to time. Having it mounted to a wall may reduce the need for calibration. Its operation is mechanical in nature and utilize a dial which gives the reading. Click here to purchase your very own professional Aneriod Sphygmomanometer.
A stethoscope is used with both of these manual Sphygmomanometer and helps in the blood pressure reading.
Digital Sphygmomanometers: These devices can be operated without training and use electricity to manually or automatically inflate or deflate the cuff and produces a blood pressure reading this is generated by electronic calculations. There are some that believe this type of Sphygmomanometer is not as accurate as the manual type, however as we move into the modern age, the age of technology, you will find this Digital meters have taken over and I can speak from experience. When I was diagnosed with hypertension, by pressure was checked with a digital meter at a hospital. The last time I went to the doctor to check by pressure, a digital meter was used. Digital meters have basically taken over, and with advances in technology, digital meters have become smaller, sleeker and more appealing to people on the go.
Click Here to purchase your very own Digital Sphygmomanometer to be used in the comfort of your home.
Procedure for getting the best results
Since being diagnosed with hypertension, I have gotten by pressure checked quite a few times since then. Each experience tends to follow the same pattern. First you must be relaxed. If you go to the doctor they will tell you to sit and rest for about five to seven minutes to get you to a somewhat relaxed state. You will then be asked to sit in an upright position at which point the cuff will be placed on your arm and the inflation of the cuff will start. I would advise this during the inflation of the cuff, try to clear your mind and focus on something other than what is going on.
you will be asked not to speak during this time as well until the procedure is complete. I will say though this when the cuff is being inflated it does tend to make you nervous, especially when the cuff gets really tight. This nervousness may also cause a rise in pressure which is why we try to focus on something else. By this you would have gotten your blood pressure measurement and the process doesn’t take more this eight to ten minutes inclusive of the five minutes of rest.
The Ball is in your Court
I hope this information will be of great help to you as I have highlighted this in order to find out your blood pressure measurement, you either go to a doctor or trained physician, or you can purchase a blood pressure monitor for yourself and check your pressure from the comfort of you home. Where ever you chose to go, go get your pressure checked today.
If there is anything this I have missed, or just to share your thoughts, comments and views, please don’t be afraid to leave a comment and I will be sure to get back to you.